Translate

Search This Blog

Monday 11 March 2013

Thankful for the times we live in

This past week has been a mixture of excitement and reflection.
Attending the Cochlear Implant Clinic was a positive experience, this gave me the feeling of progress, moving forward on our journey to get Jaime hearing and speaking.
Our appointment began with a video recording of Jaime's interactions and responses to 'play', both taking note of her response to sound as well non-auditory cues. Next we worked through a number of questionnaires to determine where Jaime is placed amongst her 'peers', does she 'tick the boxes' for the developmental milestones for her age. I left the appointment pleased that Jaime is tracking well, equal (if not ahead) of her peers in most areas of interaction... She smiles, mimics facial expressions and plays games such as peekaboo, as well as beginning to show signs of utilising gesture to indicate what she wants.
The only area that Jaime lags behind in her development is directly related to her limitations in hearing, Jaime is unable to turn towards sound and does not partake in 'turn-taking' speech/babble. These delays have not come as any surprise... I am happy to be done with surprises for now!

During the week we kept up with the positive vibe enjoying plenty of social time with friends; picnics, barbecues, meeting new arrivals (and impending ones) and plenty of time swimming (what better way to spend a heat wave).

This has, however, got me thinking... as more and more friends begin sharing their stories on their baby's first "mama's" and "dada's" I can't help but wonder when our turn will come. Although I could let this get me down I am also thankful that we will at least 'know' why, if this day is delayed.
I think about those that, in days gone by, did not have the same opportunities as we do, those that did not have access to early diagnosis.
I think about watching my child growing, developing, and then falling behind... Sure, questions would be raised, but not always answered, or at lease not necessarily answered correctly, Learning disabilities? Autism? or simply a child ignoring their parents... all the while falling behind their peers, not given the chance to keep up.

The introduction of Newborn screening has not only prevented misdiagnosis but also allowed hearing loss to be picked up well before any delays may be noticed, picked up with plenty of time to make decisions... Sign language, hearing devices, speech therapy...

...we are lucky to have the opportunity to plan ahead. We can enjoy the now with a little less worry about tomorrow.
But let's face it... I'm a mum... I will always worry about tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. As a new grandma who went with my granddaughter to her first hearing test at one month old, I am grateful that the test went well.. all along knowing that some tests of other babies might not be so successful.. However, reading the above article, I am also happy that we all live in a high-technology era where things like that can be detected early on and treated. I commend you parents of Jaime for your dedication and perseverence. It is so important to share your news for others to learn from it too. I wish you and Jaime all the best.. hugs Pia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pia,
      I am so glad your granddaughters hearing test went well, waiting for these results (good or bad) can be nerve-wracking for the whole family (including grandparents). We often forget that grandparents are often just as vested in the well being of their grandchildren and are deeply affected by the challenges we may face, we are lucky to have the support of wonderful grandparents who cannot be praised enough for how they have handled the news of Jaime's deafness (I feel a later post just for them may be in order).
      Your kind words have taken me by surprise, it is one thing to receive feedback from family and friends, but to get such praise from someone I have never met is moving. I am so glad my message has been able to be shared and I hope it may inspire and comfort all of you... No matter what your challenges may be.
      Regards,
      Jaime's Mum

      Delete

Questions about our journey with sensorineural hearing loss? Or do you have a story of your own to share?