Translate

Search This Blog

Tuesday 19 March 2013

Good, Bad, Confusing...

Yesterday was an important day for us, our first hearing test since Jaime's hearing aids were fitted at 7weeks old.
Jaime, now 5months, has been flourishing, she is a bright, bubbly girl with bright blue eyes that never stop taking in the world around her. However there has been one question looming over us as we have watched her grow... How much has Jaime been hearing?

Monday morning, we arrive at Australian Hearing and are led to a small room with a thick blue door, my first impression was of being led into a submarine, a new world...
As the three little electrodes are attached to Jaime's head the anticipation builds... It feels like forever since that first hearing test 4months ago.
Today we were testing Jaime's right ear (moderate-severe loss) with her hearing aid in place, testing was done across low, medium and high frequencies of 'speech' sounds at 65db (equivalent to medium conversational level) to determine if she is hearing us talk.
Only seconds into the test I am asked what feels like a very weighted question, 'are you expecting her to respond?' I don't really know, I would love to say yes, she smiles and laughs with us, but if I am really honest with myself I have become increasingly sceptical if Jaime is really hearing much at all. Seems that this was all the technician needed to hear... She paused the test, Jaime was not showing any response to the 'speech' band of sounds. My heart sank... I felt as though we had just been shunted all the way back to day one... This was our bad news.

Good news... After increasing her hearing aid by 15db (now set at 85db) Jaime showed responses to all the speech sounds! Woo Hoo, she is finally hearing!

Now the confusion... This 15db increase might be too loud. This is something I find difficult to get my mind around, how can her hearing aid now be loud enough to hear speech but also be too loud? We face a situation where, although finally allowing her to hear, we may have to turn her hearing aids back down. If day-to-day noises begin to startle or irritate Jaime we may face the dilemma of turning off Jaime's hearing.

Despite all this, I left our appointment on a positive... We have confirmation that Jaime can hear us, and already we have noticed a difference. Today we hit a big milestone! For the first time when Jaime began to cry, whilst still out of sight I called her name... She paused... Stopped crying for a moment... For us this is huge!

Good, Bad, Confusing...

I'll focus on the Good for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions about our journey with sensorineural hearing loss? Or do you have a story of your own to share?