Translate

Search This Blog

Saturday 23 February 2013

Jaime; an active baby and new challenges


As Jaime grows we enjoy many firsts; 

first smile, 
first time rolling 
and her first sounds. 

For a baby with deafness this is a delightful moment hearing her first coo's and first giggles, however the doubt always sits in the back of my mind, that little elephant that weighs on your every thought... Can 'she' hear what she's saying?
This question alone can bring me to tears, I, like any other parent sit and listen to my baby coo as she smiles at me, my heart skips... I am filled with a warmth that only a parent knows... my heart sinks a little; what if she can't hear these wonderful sounds she is making? How would I feel if she fell silent? Now My heart breaks a little... all it takes tho, is a giggle and a wide bright smile to look up at me and my heart is mended, at least for now.
At what point will her leaps and bounds in language slow or even screech to a halt? Will she learn to communicate? Will I ever get to enjoy the back and forth of baby banter?
These are questions we can not yet answer, these are answers that will be slowly unfurled as we continue on our hearing journey through Jaime's quiet world.







Right now our biggest challenge is keeping hearing aids on an increasingly active and curious baby. Turn away for a second and hearing aids get chewed and thrown, on many occasions I have had the frantic search to spot Jaime's small purple aids lying under her, or tucked into the carseat... Every time, relief that this time they have not become an inadvertent meal.
I purchased a basic baby bonnet from early intervention in Brighton...

Perfect! No more lost hearing aids. 
Not-so-perfect... The very medical, stark white bonnet. 
This set me on the quest to find an alternative, store bought headbands worked for a while, however, soon these too were being flung aside by tiny hands, or if the headband stayed in place little fingers would find their way under the band to grab the hearing aids anyway!

Next...
A solution, my own prototype 'hearing bonnet', not just a necessity, an accessory





No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions about our journey with sensorineural hearing loss? Or do you have a story of your own to share?